Ok, so seriously, years ago I walked into an Overeaters Anonymous meeting eating a chocolate mousse. I thought I was going to a "different" 12 step meeting, where chocolate is better than the alternative substance of choice, and I went to my local meeting hall totally oblivious, whereupon I was glared at severely by many militant eyes and informed that I might want to take the mousse outside. I dumped it and stayed for the meeting, because obviously I needed to be there. And now I weigh a whole other Olson twin more than that day. Weighing less will feel a lot better than eating more. It is how we deal with putting off the delayed gratification that counts. My cardiac rehab nurse suggested to find benchmark rewards. Down 5 pounds? Get a new set of hand weights. Down 10? An appointment with a personal trainer and a manicure! Down 25? Get a treadmill. Down to your ideal weight? Go to Hawaii for volcano hiking! Find different rewards that have nothing to do with food and everything to do with perpetuating health. I tend to emotional eat at night and instead, last night I did squats and curls. And today I can feel my butt! OK, not literally, but I sure know the muscles are still there!! Also, find good substitutes for the emotional eating, like a hand full of almonds and one square of organic dark chocolate that is actually good for you!
Another trick I have used successfully in the past is to allow myself one pint of my favorite ice cream once a month (usually that PMS time) so that I don't feel forever deprived, but that I will get to have what I want when my craving is at it's worst, that way my current cravings can be gauged as "not that bad" and I can delay that gratification.
I think the butter at Nat's house may now be that heart healthy plant sterol raw suet tasting stuff that is good for you!! Right Natalie??!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment